The following tailgating procedures will be in effect for the 2012 NMSU football season to ensure a safe and enjoyable tailgating experience for our fans. The tailgating procedures establishes the rules and regulations for tailgating activities on campus and requires fans treat NMSU property, game management staff, security personnel, and fellow fans with courtesy and respect. NMSU Athletics encourages fans to arrive early, tailgate with friends, family, and fellow fans and enjoy the Aggie Football experience.
General public tailgating in association with home football games is allowed in Lot 30 (East Pan American Center General Tailgating Lot). Tailgating is also allowed in pass-controlled parking areas in Lots 33 (AAC Lot A), 39 (Goal Line Club Parking Lot), and portions of Lot 38 (AAC Lot B) controlled by Aggie Athletic Club. Special Events staff shall provide access control and lot management services for these lots..
Student tailgating for NMSU students is allowed in Lot 34 (East Aggie Memorial Stadium Lot). Only vehicles containing an NMSU student holding a valid NMSU ID will be allowed access to Lot 34. Designated university personnel will provide access control and lot management services for this lot.
Tailgating activities are not allowed in any other non-tailgate designated parking lots on campus.
Tailgating activities are not allowed if they block access to designated handicapped parking spaces or block safe and efficient traffic flow within the parking lots or roads on the campus.
The north area of Lot 30 is designated for alcohol-free tailgating.
General: Parking for tailgating activities in the specified lots is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Pre-positioning Vehicles: Fans may pre-position RVs in Lot 30 beginning at 8:00am on Wednesday of the week preceding a home football game. Vehicles prepositioned and left overnight are done so solely at the owner's risk.
Overnight RV Occupancy: Recreation Vehicles (RVs) in Lot 30 may be occupied beginning at 6:00pm on the evening before a home football game.
Removal of Vehicles from Lots: All vehicles must be removed from NMSU parking lots (including those vehicles with an Athletics parking pass) by 10:00am on the day following a home football game.
Parking spaces: Vehicles, including RVs, must be parked in order, within parking stalls, where marked. RVs in Lot 30 shall park in a East/West direction. Tailgating activities are limited to the space required for parking of the associated vehicle, plus one full stall width along the full passenger side of the vehicle. For example, one (1) marked space is allowed for tailgating activities when no vehicle is parked and two (2) marked spaces are allowed for tailgating activities when one standard size vehicle is parked.
The maximum space for tailgating activities is six (6) marked spaces, applicable only to an oversized RV (a total of 3 spaces long by 2 spaces deep).
All vehicles, equipment and persons associated with a particular tailgate party must be contained in the applicable area. No vehicles, equipment or persons may block driving lanes or access for emergency vehicles. Blocking or reserving of adjacent spaces is not allowed outside of the six-space area.
Tailgating Time Periods:
Tailgating activities are allowed in Lot 30 (General Tailgate Lot) from 6:00pm to 11:00pm on the evening before a home football game. Tailgating activities on Game Day are allowed beginning at 9:00am and ending at 12:00am (midnight).
Tailgating activities (Legal Consumption of Alcohol) are allowed in Lot 34 (Student Tailgate Lot) on game day beginning no earlier than 4 hours prior to the start of the game to 2 hours following the end of the game. Lot 34 will open for pre-game set up beginning at 11:00 am on game days.
Tailgating activities are allowed in other designated pass-controlled parking lots beginning at 9:00 am on game days
Alcohol: Alcohol may be consumed as part of tailgating activities during the times and in the locations designated for tailgating activities under this policy and in accordance with the following provisions:
- Persons under the age of 21 are prohibited from drinking alcohol in accordance with state and federal laws and NMSU policy. Persons who supply alcohol to underage drinkers may face criminal and civil charges.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be sold, and providers of alcohol will be held responsible for any over-consumption by their guests.
- Glass containers (e.g. bottles or drinking glasses) are not permitted.
- Kegs, party balls or common sources of alcohol are not permitted.
- Alcohol may not be sold.
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought into Aggie Memorial Stadium.
- Responsible and appropriate behavior is required when consuming alcohol as part of tailgating activities. Inappropriate behavior may result in sanctions by law enforcement authorities and forfeiture of tailgating privileges.
Grilling: Electric and propane/butane grills are allowed in all tailgating areas. Charcoal grills are strongly discouraged. For safety reasons, fire extinguishers and/or a bucket of water are required when grilling in tailgating areas.
Other Tailgating Regulations:
- Erecting Structures: Other than authorized tents or awnings, no other structures may be assembled, erected or set upon the tailgate parking lots. Staking of tents or awnings is not permitted in any area on campus. All tents and awnings must be secured by other means (e.g. sand bags, water jugs, anchoring to vehicles, etc.). Swimming pools, hot tubs, aerial lifts, walls, fences and other such items are not permitted unless prior approval has been obtained from Campus Activities and NMSU Athletics.
- Commercial Activities: The sale of goods and/or services, filming for commercial purposes and other commercial activities are not permitted in tailgate areas, unless prior approval has been obtained from Campus Activities and NMSU Athletics.
- Advertising: Any signage or banners (other than NMSU items) in the tailgating area (including posters, logo tents, flags, wrapped vehicles, etc.) must be approved by Campus Activities and NMSU Athletics prior to Game Day.
- Solicitation: Handouts, giveaways and flyers are not permitted in tailgating areas unless prior approval has been obtained from Campus Activities and NMSU Athletics.
- Noise: Live bands, public address systems, loud radio or music systems and amplified sound of any kind are not permitted in the tailgate areas unless prior approval has been obtained from Campus Activities office and NMSU Athletics.
- Generators and Inverters: Electric generators and battery- powered generators/inverters that do not emit fumes and do not make noise are permitted in the tailgating areas.
- Trash and Waste Disposal: All trash and waste must be disposed of in an appropriate manner. NMSU personnel regularly patrol the tailgate areas to collect bagged trash. Other trash must be taken to appropriate receptacles upon leaving the tailgating area. Dumping of waste tanks is prohibited.
- Behavior: All persons entering the tailgating areas are subject to NMSU Board of Regents and NMSU policies and regulations, and the Laws of the State of New Mexico. NMSU may revoke the tailgating privileges and reject or refuse entry to persons for violating the tailgating policies, disruptive behavior, illegal activity, disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and similar types of behavior will not be tolerated.