WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CHEER AT NEW MEXICO STATE?
Every NMSU Cheerleader receives a scholarship to cheer. We currently have 3 scholarships available:
- Scholarship 1: Tuition Scholarship (will require an application/essay after tryouts)
- Scholarship 2: Book Voucher (will require an application/essay after tryouts)
- Scholarship 3: Camp, Practice Gear, Shoes, Away Trips, (Adidas Bag, Warm Ups and Uniforms are free but will be returned at the end of the year.) This is an automatic scholarship that all members receive.
- Competition: NMSU Cheer is also a competitive team that competes at a collegiate national competition every year!
- College Games: Cheer at college games!
As an NMSU Cheerleader you are one of the most recognized ambassadors of the university. You will make appearances at many different university and community events!
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO TEAMS?
The New Mexico State Cheerleaders consists of two teams, A Large and Small Coed. As you know there is many different styles of cheerleading this is why we have developed two teams. Both teams are required to cheer at football, volleyball and basketball games. They also make many university and community based appearances.
The Large Coed team consists of 12 males and 8 females. This style of cheerleading requires partner stunting (1 base, 1 top), standing back tucks and round off back handspring tucks for both men and women. This team cheers for all football games, rotated volleyball games and all men's basketball games.
The Small Coed team consists of between 20-24 females and 4 males. This style of cheerleading requires group stunting (3 bases, 1 top), standing back handspring, round off back handspring series (tuck is preferred for both running and standing tumbling). This team cheers for all football games, rotated volleyball games and all women's basketball games.
WHICH TEAM SHOULD I TRYOUT FOR?
This will be up to you and your experience. A majority of our participants who tryout come from an "all girl" style team, so coed "partner stunting" can be a new experience. We have Coed tryouts in the morning and Small Coed tryouts in the afternoon, so if you do not make coed you can come back in the afternoon and do a mini tryout for Small Coed.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AT THE NMSU CHEER TRYOUTS?
NMSU Cheer consists of a two day tryout:
- The first day will consist of a 1st cut, where participants will be required to demonstrate a minimum of a standing and round off back handspring. Then the participants will learn the tryout material which will consist of a cheer with standing tumbling, dance, running tumbling and stunting. Participants need to wear cheer shoes, cheer shorts, T shirt and or sports bra.
- The second day will be the actual tryout day. Female participants will need to wear cheer shoes, black sports bra and black shorts. Coed tryouts will be in the morning and Small Coed tryouts will be in the afternoon, results will be posted no later than 1:00pm. If you would like to tryout for Coed and do not make it you will be able to come back to tryout for Small Coed in the afternoon. Small Coed tryout results will be posted no later than 5:00pm.