LOGAN, UTAH – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team came back for a 6-1 win over the Seattle Redhawks after falling in doubles play to sweep the singles matches for the win on Friday, April 12. NM State improves to 12-8 this season.
The Aggies fell 2-1 in doubles play with the only win coming at the third court as Daniel Fernandez and Paul Denele worked for an 8-5 win. Losing two close matches in doubles play made the singles duals much more important for the Aggies as senior Luis Ramirez and junior Marc Westgate battled for a 9-7 loss at the top doubles spot. The Aggies duo at the No. 2 spot fell as well, giving SU a 1-0 lead going into individual play.
“It was a rough start in the doubles for us,” head coach Carlos Vargas said, “but we came back in singles and played better. Now we have to just get ready for Utah State on Saturday.”
The Aggies swept each of the singles matches in consecutive sets. Ramirez worked for his sixth singles win at the No. 1 spot this spring (6-3, 6-1), while Fernandez picked up win No. 10 at the second spot (7-5, 6-3).
Westgate won in matching fashion to Fernandez’ scores at the third spot and Germain Degardin (6-1, 6-1), Denele (6-4, 6-2) and Patrick Pfister (6-2, 6-0) each took the point for NM State at the next three courts, respectively.
NM State continues in Logan, Utah to meet host Utah State on Saturday, April 13, to finish out the regular-season schedule. The Aggie battle is set for 12:30 p.m.
NM State 6, Seattle U 1
1. Lynch/Bediones (SU) def. Ramirez/Westgate (NMST) 9-7
2. Kosanke/Clare (SU) def. Degardin/Blank (NMST) 8-6
3. Fernandez/Denele (NMST) def. Malagutti/Rapp (SU) 8-5
1. Luis Ramirez (NMST) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMST) def. Zach Kosanke (SU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Marc Westgate (NMST) def. Ian Clare (SU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Germain Degardin (NMST) def. Kyle Rapp (SU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Paul Denele (NMST) def. Jason Bediones (SU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Patrick Pfister (NMST) def. Flavio Malagutti (SU) 6-2, 6-0