LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team was knocked off 5-2 by Western Athletic Conference foe Denver on Sunday afternoon, April 7, at the NM State Tennis Center.
NM State fell behind 0-1 early with Denver claiming the pivotal doubles point with wins at the first and second courts. Senior Luis Ramirez and junior Marc Westgate dropped 8-5 at the No. 1 position and the Pioneers were able to claim the point after the No. 2 pair topped NM State’s Yannick Blank and Germain Degardin 9-8 (6).
Freshmen Daniel Fernandez and Naveen Manivannan were able to come up with a win at the third position 8-4 to help NM State avoid the sweep in doubles, but it was not enough to claim the point in favor of the Aggies.
As singles play got under way, Ramirez was taken down by No. 67 Enej Bonin at the top spot in three tough sets, but Fernandez and Patrick Pfister were able to come up with wins at the second and sixth positions.
Fernandez used three sets to pick up the win (6-0, 1-6, 7-6) at the No. 2 court, while Pfister took the point at the sixth position 6-4 and 6-2.
The Aggies fell at the third, fourth and fifth courts, but Degardin also took three sets before falling to Henry Craig at the fourth spot.
The Aggies head to Logan, Utah, to face Seattle U on Friday, April 12, and then wrap the weekend on Saturday, April 13 against host Utah State. The weekend is the Aggies last regular season weekend before heading into the WAC Championships April 25-28 in Denver, Colo.
NM State 2, Denver 5
1. #67 Enej Bonin (DU) def. Luis Ramirez (NMST) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
2. Daniel Fernandez def. Jens Vorkefeld (DU) 6-0, 1-6, 7-6
3. Max Krammer (DU) def. Marc Westgate (NMST) 6-3, 6-2
4. Henry Craig (DU) def. Germain Degardin (NMST) 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
5. Fabio Biasion (DU) def. Paul Denele (NMST) 7-6, 7-5
6. Patrick Pfister (NMST) def. Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Bonin/Vorkefeld def. Ramirez/Westgate 8-5
2. Krammer/Biasion def. Blank/Degardin 9-8 (6)
3. Fernandez/Manivannan def. Craig/Manley 8-4