PULLMAN, IDAHO (March 29) -- The New Mexico State men’s tennis team moves to 1-1 in Western Athletic Conference play after being downed 5-2 by the 61st-ranked Idaho Vandals on Friday, March 29. NM State drops to 10-7 overall this season.
Idaho took two of the doubles matches away from NM State for a 1-0 lead, but the Aggies made an attempt to come back with two wins in singles play.
Luis Ramirez and Marc Westgate worked at the No. 1 doubles court before eventually falling 8-6 and the next pair of Aggies, Daniel Fernandez and Naveen Manivannan dropped 8-2 to give the point to the Vandals.
Fernandez and Paul Denele came back in singles for wins at the second and fifth courts for NM State. Fernandez worked at court two for a 6-1, 6-3 win over Abid Akbar, while Denele battled three sets at the fifth spot for an Aggie point. Falling 2-6 in game one, Denele came up with a 6-2 and 7-2 win in the next two sets for his singles point.
Germain Degardin and Patrick Pfister worked their opponents at the third and sixth courts for three sets before eventually falling, while the other two Aggies were sent away in straight sets.
The Vandals improved to 18-2 on the season and 3-0 in WAC play with the win.
NM State finishes the weekend on Sunday against Eastern Washington at 10 a.m. in Spokane, Wash.
No. 61 Idaho 5, New Mexico State 2
March 29, 2013
1. Marius Cirstea/Abid Akbar (UI) def. Luis Ramirez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-6
2. Cristobal Ramos Salazar/Jose Bendeck (UI) vs. Germain Degardin/Yannick Blank (NMSU) Unfinished
3. Dmitry Perevoshchikov/Cesar Torres (UI) def. Daniel Fernandez/Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) 8-2
1. Dmitry Perevoshchikov (UI) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) def. Abid Akbar (UI) 6-1, 6-3
3. Marius Cirstea (UI) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Cesar Torres (UI) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6
6. Cristobal Ramos Salazar (UI) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2