LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 15) - After UTEP nabbed the doubles point, NM State came up with four singles points for the 4-3 win over the Miners to improve to a three-match winning streak.
NM State moves to 4-7 this season, while snapping the Miners' five-match hot streak and pushing the I-10 rival to an 8-7 record.
"We played extremely hard to come back after losing in doubles," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "We have won three in-a-row, and that is a good way to start our conference schedule next week."
While the Miners claimed each of the three doubles matches for the point, it was not without a battle. It took an 8-7 decision before Annemieke Witte and Denise Van Der Ben would surrender to the UTEP pair at the second court.
Once the teams got into singles competition, NM State claimed four points for the win, while giving just two wins to UTEP at courts one and two. Continuing on her hot streak for the Aggies, Witte moves to 7-3 in singles play with her fifth consecutive win. She beat UTEP's Marie LeBlond 7-6 and 6-3 at court No. 4.
Ros-Polly Nguyen also helped the Aggies by stretching her record to 7-3 this season as she won her match at in the fifth spot 6-0 and 6-2.
Senior Ginet Pinero picked up her fifth singles win of the season and fourth at the No. 3 position with a 6-2 and 6-3 decision. Mia Brandt claimed her second win of the season in two consecutive sets at the sixth court, helping NM State to the 4-3 win over I-10 rival UTEP.
NM State switches gears and looks at four straight road matches to open Western Athletic Conference play. NM State meets San Jose State on Wednesday, March 20, before facing Texas State, Louisiana Tech and Seattle March 22-24. All four dual matches are set to be held in San Jose, Calif.
Mar 15, 2013 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Center)
New Mexico State 4, UTEP 3
1. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Jodie Williams (NMST) 6-3, 6-3
2. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMST) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ginet Pinero (NMST) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
4. Annemieke Witte (NMST) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 7-6, 6-3
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMST) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-0, 6-2
6. Mia Brandt (NMST) def. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) 7-5, 6-3
1. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Ginet Pinero/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMST) 8-4
2. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Annemieke Witte/Denise Van Der Ben (NMST) 8-7
3. Anastasiya Sylenko/Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) def. Jodie Williams/Mia Brandt (NMST) 8-6