Fullerton, Calif. (Feb. 22) -- The New Mexico State women's tennis team fell 6-1 to the Cal State Fullerton Titans on Friday, Feb. 22 ater batteling in the first dual match in over a week. The Aggies move to 1-3 on the season.
NM State got off to a slow start as the Titans earned the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. Aggies Mia Brandt and Ros-Polly Nguyen fought to an 8-5 loss at the thrid court, but were unable to get hold off their Titan pair.
"We are going through a rough period with all of these injuries," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "We just need stay together as a team and trust that things will begin to turn around as we get healthy."
The Aggies struggled in singles play as well, with Nguyen picking up the only Aggie point at the No. 5 court. She was able to claim the point in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3. Each of the other Aggies fell in two straight sets, however. At the second court, Denise Van Der Ben worked though two tough sets, but fell 7-5 and 6-1.
The Aggies continue on the road trip on Saturday, Feb. 23, against No. 59 UC Irvine at 12 p.m.
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU), 7-5, 6-1
3. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Emilia Borkowski (CSF) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF), 6-4, 6-3
6. Megan Sanford (CSF) def. Lisa Roslanova (NMSU), 6-0, 6-4
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) vs. Van Der Ben/Williams (NMSU), Unfinished
2. McIntosh/Slevcove (CSF) def. Pinero/Witte (NMSU), 8-3
3. Borkowski/Sandford (CSF) def. Brandt/Nguyen (NMSU), 8-5
Cal State Fullerton (6-4, 2-1)
New Mexico State (1-3)