LAS VEGAS - The New Mexico State women's tennis team fell 5-2 to the Pacific Tigers on Sunday, Feb. 10 at the Fertitta Tennis Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
In doubles competition, NM State was unable to secure the point as Pacific picked up an 8-1 win at both the No. 1 and No. 3 position, leaving the second court u finished.
"After senior Jodie Williams suffered a sprained ankle in yesterday's match versus Weber State, it made it very difficult to put ourselves in a winning position today," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "She did her best and tried to stay out on the court as long as possible."
Williams battled through one set at the top singles spot, only to retire before the match was completed. As Denise Van Der Ben went down on the second court, senior Ginet Pinero was able to get the Aggies first point at the third position in two sets. Annemieke Witte also closed out on a point for NM State with a battle on the fourth court. She took Christina Ferrari to a 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5) win.
"We fought hard but fell 5-2 to Pacific. Ginet won at No. 3 singles and Annemieke won at No. 4 singles. Denise had chances at two and Lisa at five. It was a close match," Fernandez said. "I'm proud of how the girls played today. There are just some things we can't control. This is our third sprained ankle in the last three weeks, so if we can get this team healthy I know we can compete with anyone."
While Ros-Polly Nguyen went down in straight sets (6-2, 6-1), Lisa Roslanova competed to a 6-4 loss in the first set and went down 7-6 (4) in the final set.
The Aggies take a week off before heading to the West Coast for three days of dual competition. NM State faces Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 22, and then continues on a California route against UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge.
Tennis Match Results
Feb. 10, 2013 at Las Vegas, NV
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
Pacific 5, New Mexico State 2
1. Iveta Masarova (UOP) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-4, retired
2. Hana Ritterova (UOP) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Susan Te (UOP) 6-2, 6-4
4. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Christina Ferrari (UOP) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Gergana Boncheva (UOP) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Regina Suarez (UOP) def. Lisa Roslanova (NMSU) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
1. Iveta Masarova/Hana Ritterova (UOP) def. Jodie Williams/Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-1
2. Susan Te/Christina Ferrari (UOP) vs. Ginet Pinero/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 4-6 DNF
3. Regina Suarez/Gergana Boncheva (UOP) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen/Lisa Roslanova (NMSU) 8-1