Recently, NM State athletics sent a link to a survey to a large number of fans, boosters, partners and campus partners. This survey intended to support branding efforts being considered by the WAC, but also created confusion.
As most of you know, the WAC is our conference in every sport except football. In football, NM State joins the Sun Belt on July 1, after spending the 2013 season as an independent. What that also means is that because the WAC no longer sponsors the sport of football, the survey omitted any questions about that important sport.
This created confusion for some and we want to make it very clear that the survey was a WAC survey and not an NM State survey. The crafters of the survey also did a poor job of identifying itself as a WAC survey, which could have alleviated any confusion about the importance of football at NM State.
To make it perfectly clear, football is imperative for the branding of New Mexico State University. NM State has been making great strides in bringing a winner to Las Cruces. A few examples of the good news coming from football:
- NM State administrators positively impacted the Sun Belt membership and were able to secure an invitation from the Sun Belt Conference and will begin play as a football member in 2014.
- Head Football Coach Doug Martin has revamped the recruiting program. Speed will be a major emphasis, as will high school recruiting, rather than a heavy influence of junior college transfers.
- While staff changes are difficult, Coach Martin will welcome at least three new coaches to his staff.
- A major overhaul of the appearance of several football buildings has given the facilities a facelift
- Fund-raising efforts aimed at former football players has taken off as these former players are re-connecting with their alma mater. The dollars from this effort are being put into the revamped recruiting program.
- A public event to celebrate the new recruiting class will be held at the Danny Villanueva Victory Club on the third floor of the Fulton Center on Feb. 5 at 5:30PM
The importance of football to the athletic department at NM State and the branding of the university cannot be overstated. The list above is not a comprehensive list of the efforts being made to improve the program, but should provide a sense of the importance football plays at NM State.
Thank you for your support and Aggie Up!