SPOKANE, WASH. – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team dropped its first match of the week 5-2 to the Gonzaga Bulldogs on Thursday, March 28.
Gonzaga picked up the first point of the match, but not without a fight. Senior Luis Ramirez and junior Marc Westgate worked at the top doubles court for an 8-4 win. The pair of Aggies at the second court fell 8-5, while Daniel Fernandez and Manivannan battled before dropping 8-3 at the No. 3 spot.
Fernandez and Patrick Pfister were the two Aggies that earned points in singles play, but that was not enough to hold off the Bulldogs. In two consecutive sets, Fernandes topped Olivier Jamin 7-6 and 6-2 at the No. 2 court.
Pfister battled three games at the sixth spot for his win. He won the first game 6-3 and fell in game two 3-6. He was able to make his comeback in the third and final set for a 10-6 win and the point.
Germain Degardin fell at court four, but work his Gonzaga opponent to three sets before allowing the point to the Bulldog. Degardin won the first set 6-4, but was upended by the next two sets going to Hayden Smith.
The Aggies continue with the road trip and face Western Athletic Conference foe Idaho on Friday, March 29.
Gonzaga Bulldogs 5, New Mexico State 2
1. NAZAL, Alvaro (GON) def. RAMIREZ, Luis (NMSU) 6-0, 6-3
2. FERNANDEZ, Daniel (NMSU) def. JAMIN, Olivier (GON) 7-6, 6-2
3. GUILLERMO, Levin (GON) def. WESTGATE, Marc (NMSU) 6-2, 7-6
4. SMITH, Hayden (GON) def. DEGARDIN, Germain (NMSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-7
5. MIJATOVIC, Vladimir (GON) def. DENELE, Paul (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. PFISTER, Patrick (NMSU) def. VARAS, Vicente (GON) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
1. WESTGATE, Marc/RAMIREZ, Luis (NMSU) def. SCHOEBEL, Jack/JAMIN, Olivier (GON) 8-4
2. SMITH, Hayden/BRANDT, Joey (GON) def. BLANK, Yannick/DEGARDIN, Germain (NMSU) 8-5
3. MOSQUERA PÉREZ, Pabl/NAZAL, Alvaro (GON) def. MANIVANNAN, Naveen/FERNANDEZ, Daniel (NMSU) 8-4