LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 3) - The New Mexico State men's tennis team picked up its second win of the weekend and first in Western Athletic Conference play with a 4-2 win over UT Arlington on Sunday morning, March 3.
NM State nabbed the doubles point with two wins on the first and third court, leaving the second court unfinished. Senior Luis Ramirez finished the weekend undefeated with a win at the top doubles court with the help of teammate Marc Westgate. Ramirez came back for a win in matching 6-2 sets at the No. 1 singles position to get things started for the Aggies.
"It was a great effort as a team and excellent leadership from our upper classmen," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "We had a much improved performance from Paul Denele in singles as well as all our doubles teams. It was a great start to conference."
The Aggies picked up two more singles points for the win. Westgate and Denele each battled through three sets before picking up the points. Westgate dropped in the first set 4-6, but came back in the next two sets 6-0 and 6-4 for the point at the fourth court.
Denele earned the point at court five in similar fashion. He lost the first set 0-6, but fought back for 6-2 and 6-4 wins in the next two sets to get the point and help NM State to the win.
The Aggies, 5-3 on the season and 1-0 in WAC play, travels to Albuquerque, N.M., next week to meet DePaul and I-25 rival New Mexico on March 9 and 10.
New Mexico State 4, UT Arlington 2
Aggie Tennis Center
1. Ramirez/Westgate (NMS) def.Yakauleu/Arbiza (UTA) 8-3
2. Degardin/Blank (NMS) vs. Goritzka/Pesicka (UTA) DNF
3. Fernandez/Mannivanan (NMS) def. Perez/Gomez (UTA) 8-4
1. Luis Ramirez (NMS) def. Yauheni Yalauleu (UTA)6-2, 6-2
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMS) vs. Soren Goritzka (UTA) DNF
3. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) def. Germain Degardin (NMS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marc Westgate (NMS) def. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Paul Denele (NMS) def. Merek Pesicka (UTA) 0-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Sebastian Gomez (UTA) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMS) 6-4, 6-4