LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 1) - The New Mexico state women's tennis team fell 4-3 to the Colorado State Rams on Friday, March 1, in the home opener at the Aggie Tennis Center.
NM State stumbled in doubles play, but not before three strong battles. Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen forced the score to 9-8 before being defeated by the pair of Rams at the top doubles court. The other two Aggie duos fell 8-4 and 8-6, respectively, giving the crucial point to CSU.
In singles play, the Aggies fought for three wins on the middle courts. After Jodie Williams was retired 1-0 due to an injury, Pinero came up with a 6-4, 7-5 win over her opponent in the third sport. Annemieke Witte defeated Adriana Wojakowska 6-1, 6-2 at the fourth position and Nguyen came up with a win in straight sets (6-3, 7-6) at No. 5. Those three Aggie wins were not enough to trump the Rams.
NM State gets back on the court at home on Sunday, March 3, against Northern Arizona. The match is set for 10 a.m.
NM State 3, Colorado State 4
Aggie Tennis Center
1. Natalie Heffron (CSU) def. Jodie Williams (NMS) 1-0 ret inj
2. Abby Stevens (CSU) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMS) 2-6,6-2,6-3
3. Ginet Pinero (NMS) def. Kendall Heitzner (CSU) 6-4,7-5
4. Annemieke Witte (NMS) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) 6-1,6-2
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMS) def. Mollie Cooper (CSU) 6-3,7-6
6. Lauren Pick (CSU) def. Lisa Roslanova (NMS) 6-0,7-5
1. Heffron/Wojakowska (CSU) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMS) 9-8
2. Cooper/Stevens (CSU) def. Williams/Roslanova (NMS) 8-4
3. Heitzner/Pick (CSU) def. Van Der Ben/Witte(NMS) 8-6