Northridge, Calif. (Feb. 24) -- The New Mexico State women's tennis team dropped its final match of the weekend 4-1 to the Cal State Northridge Matadors on Sunday, Feb. 24. NM State moves to 1-5 on the season.
"I know that once we get back to one hundred percent we will begin winning again," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "We just need to stay positive and keep fighting as a team. We will rest up and get ready for our first home matches next weekend."
Beginning with doubles, each of the Aggie duos were bested by the Matadors. Jodie Williams and Denise Van Der Ben were rolled by the CSUN pair at the No. 1 doubles spot 8-1. The Matadors clinched the point with victories at the second and third courts also.
In singles play, Ros-Polly Nguyen was the lone Aggie to win her match at the fifth position. She battled for a 6-1, 6-3 win over CSUN's Jessica Warren. While Williams was set back in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-1 at the top singles position, Nguyen and Lisa Roslanova fell in consecutive sets at the fifth and sixth spots.
Ginet Pinero and Annemieke Witte's matches were left unfinished at the third and fourth spots as an injury in Van Der Ben's second draw gave CSUN a point to secure the needed four to win the match.
NM State now looks at five straight home matches in the coming weeks, beginning with Colorado State on March 1 at 1 p.m., and Northern Arizona on March 2 at 11 a.m. All the Aggie home matches are played at the NM State tennis center.
CSUN 4 New Mexico State 1
1. Man-Son-Hing/Yang (CSUN) def. Williams/Van Der Ben (NMSU): 8-2
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Pinero/Witte (NMSU): 8-3
3. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN) def. Nguyen/Brandt (NMSU): 8-1
1. Pistlau (CSUN) def. Williams (NMSU): 6-1, 6-1
2. Yang (CSUN) def. Van Der Ben (NMSU): 6-0, 3-0 retired
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) vs. Pinero (NMSU): Did Not Finish
4. Cheung (CSUN) vs. Witte (NMSU): Did Not Finish
5. Nguyen (NMSU) def. Warren (CSUN): 6-1, 6-3
6. Warren (CSUN) def. Roslanova (NMSU): 6-2, 6-2