LAS VEGAS, NEV.-Following a positive start to the weekend with a 4-0 win over UC Riverside on Friday, the New Mexico State men's tennis team fell 6-1 to UNLV Saturday, Feb. 2.
Beginning with doubles play, the Aggies dropped two of the three close matches, surrendering the point to the Rebels. Freshmen Daniel Fernandez and Paul Denele won at the third court 8-4, but it was not enough to capture the point. Luis Ramirez and Marc Westgate battled for an 8-6 loss to the Rebel pair at the top double position.
"We missed a lot of opportunities during the doubles point today," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "It was an emotional battle throughout each of the singles matches and we just came up short. We will have to recover quickly for our match tomorrow against Southern Miss."
Five of the six singles points went in favor of the Rebels as well. Fernandez continued his winning streak with a 6-4, 6-3 win over his opponent at the No. 3 spot. Westgate took the second court to three sets, winning the first 2-6, but Tamas Batyi was able to come back and claim the next two sets and secure the point.
The Aggies move to 3-2 on the season while continuing their Las Vegas weekend on Sunday, Feb. 3, against Southern Miss. The match is set to begin at 9:30 a.m. MT.
Men's Tennis Match Results
NEW MEXICO STATE 1, UNLV 6
Feb. 2, 2013 at Las Vegas, Nev.
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
1. Ace Matias (UNLV) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
3. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) def. Charlie Alvarado (UNLV) 6-4, 6-3
4. Gilad Berman (UNLV) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 7-6, 6-1
6. Carlos Di Laura (UNLV) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Bernard Schoeman/Ace Matias (UNLV) def. Luis Ramirez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-6
2. Johannes Markel/Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Naveen Manivannan/Yannick Blank (NMSU) 8-5
3. Daniel Fernandez/Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Gilad Berman/Carlos Di Laura (UNLV) 8-4