TUCSON, Ariz. (Jan. 25) - The New Mexico State men's tennis team wasted little time before claiming a 7-0 win over Scottsdale Community College on Friday afternoon in Tucson, Ariz. The team moves to 2-0 on the season before facing host Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 26.
Beginning in doubles play, the Aggies dominated each of the three matches to claim the team point. Germain Degardin and Yannick Blank played at the top spot to come out with an 8-2 victory. Daniel Fernandez and Naveen Manivannan teamed up in the second slot for a 8-6 win over their pair, while Paul Denele and Patrick Pfister worked for an 8-3 victory, sealing the point for NM State.
"I thought we played well today," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "It was a really good warm up for what we have ahead of us. Tomorrow's match against Arizona is going to be a tough one, so I think this helped us get ready for U of A."
Marc Westgate led the way in the No. 1 spot for the Aggies with a 6-3, 6-4 win. Each of the Aggies claimed similar victories in two straight sets. At the fourth position, Denele worked for a nearly perfect match to win 6-1 and 6-0. It was Strahinja Trecakov at No. 6 that swept 6-0, 6-0 over Jeremy Johnson of SCC. Played at No. 3, Degardin worked for a 6-1, 6-0 win over his opponent and Fernandez picked up another Aggie point in similar fashion with a 6-2 win in the first set and 6-0 in set two.
NM State returns tomorrow, Jan. 26, to face host University of Arizona at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center at 12 p.m. The Wildcats and the Aggies each go into the dual with a 2-0 start to spring play.
NM State 7, Scottsdale Community College 0
1. Degardin/Blank (NM State) def. Cope/Burnac (SCC) 8-2
2. Fernandez/Manivannan (NM State) def. Pollock/Zayed (SCC) 8-6
3. Denele/Pfister (NM State) def. Minsher/Johnson (SCC) 8-3
1. Marc Westgate (NM State) def. Fillip Burnac (SCC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Daniel Fernandez (NM State) def. Mousa Zayed (SCC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Germain Degardin (NM State) def. Mitch Minsher (SCC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Paul Denele (NM State) def. Kai Cope (SCC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Patrick Pfister (NM State) def. David Pollock (SCC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Strahinja Trecakov (NM State) def. Jeremy Johnson (SCC) 6-0, 6-0