LAS CRUCES, N.M. (April 18) - The New Mexico State men's tennis team blanked Western New Mexico 7-0 in its final match of the regular season Wednesday afternoon at the NM State Tennis Center.
NM State (8-14, 2-3 WAC) blanked its second straight opponent and ended the regular season on a three-match winning streak after a 7-0 decision over Western New Mexico (12-9, 6-0 RMAC).
All three Aggie doubles teams claimed their matches by yielding four games or less to the Mustang duos to sweep the doubles point and take a 1-0 advantage.
Freshman Eduardo Cabrita was the first off the court with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles. Classmate Patrick Pfister won by the same score on court No. 5. Sophomore Marc Westgate defeated his WNMU opponent 6-3, 6-3 on court No. 3 to claim the team match point for NM State.
Aggie freshman Germain Degardin recorded a 6-4, 6-2 win at the No. 4 spot. Junior Luis Ramirez also won in straight sets 7-5, 6-3 on court No. 2.
On a day he was honored by head coach Carlos Vargas for Senior Day, Matej Stakne had all eyes on him in the final match of the afternoon. Stakne took the first set 6-4 but dropped the second stanza in a tiebreaker, 7-6. In the deciding superbreaker, Stakne earned a hard-fought 10-8 victory to complete the celebration.
NM State hosts the 2012 WAC Tennis Championships beginning Friday, April 27 through Sunday, April 29 at the NM State Tennis Center. For tickets contact the NM State Ticket Office at (575) 646-1420.
For all of the latest Aggie men's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
Western New Mexico vs. New Mexico State
Apr 18, 2012 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Center)
New Mexico State 7, Western New Mexico 0
1. Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Rodrigo Almeida (WNMU) 6-4, 6-7, 10-8
2. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Johan Weich (WNMU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Matthieu Covizzi (WNMU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Jean Benoit Belin (WNMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Alvaro Nunez (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Eduardo Cabrita (NMSU) def. Roy Ulibarri (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 4, 2, 1
1. Ramirez/Westgate (NMSU) def. Weich/Nunez (WNMU) 8-3
2. Degardin/Pfister (NMSU) def. Almeida/Benoit Belin (WNMU) 8-4
3. Stakne/Cabrita (NMSU) def. Omar Lopez/Ulibarri (WNMU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2