SAN MARCOS, Texas (March 20) - The New Mexico State women's tennis team fell 6-1 at Texas State Wednesday.
The Aggies (7-5) have now won six of their last eight matches after the mid-week setback to the Bobcats. NM State will battle UTSA on Thursday in the final match slated for the Aggies' Texas road swing.
Texas State (9-1) won its ninth consecutive match starting with a sweep of the doubles point. After an 8-5 TSU win at No. 2 doubles, the Aggies fought the Bobcats to extra games at the other two slots but came up just short falling 9-8 at No. 1 and 9-7 at No. 3.
Aggie sophomore Ros-Polly Nguyen quickly evened the match at 1-1 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 5 singles but it would be the only point NM State would muster on the day.
Aggie senior Natalia Salum dropped to 9-2 in singles this season after three-set loss at No. 3 singles. After winning the first set 6-1, Salum was edged in a second set tiebreaker 7-6 before running out of gas in the deciding set, 6-1.
NM State freshman Denise Van Der Ben and junior Ginet Pinero also fell in three sets at the Nos. 2 and 4 positions, respectively.
"We had chances to win the doubles point but could not pull it out at the end," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "If we could have taken the doubles point, I think we would have been in a much better position going into the singles. We still had chances to win four of the singles matches but unfortunately we lost three matches in three sets. The 6-1 final result doesn't show how close we were in this match.
"Texas State is a very solid team that we played today. After all of these days of rain, this is our first match on this trip and I know that we will bounce back and keep fighting after this tough loss."
NM State is scheduled to conclude its Texas road trip at UTSA on Thursday at 12:30 p.m.
For all of the latest Aggie women's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
New Mexico State vs Texas State
Mar 20, 2012 at San Marcos, Texas
(Bobcat Tennis Complex)
Texas State 6, New Mexico State 1
1. Jessica Kahts (TXST) def. Marion Sylvain (NMSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Melissa Hadad (TXST) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
3. Gabriela Rojas (TXST) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
4. Mariana Perez (TXST) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. B. Van Den Bergh (TXST) 6-1, 6-0
6. Francesca Bernes (TXST) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,1,6,3,4,2
1. Kahts/Hadad (TXST) def. Salum/Sylvain (NMSU) 9-8 (9-7)
2. Rojas/Van Den Bergh (TXST) def. Van Der Ben/Witte (NMSU) 8-5
3. Rachel Baldree/Perez (TXST) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) 9-7
Order of finish: 2,3,1