The Aggies were disciplined winning five singles matches and the doubles point against UCR. NM State did not look ahead to a Super Bowl Sunday battle of ranked teams when No. 54 UNLV hosts No. 59 NM State at 11 a.m.
NM State took two out of three doubles matches to claim the first team point. Aggie senior captain Matej Stakne and junior Luis Ramirez doubled up the Highlanders 8-4. At the No. 3 slot, the NM State freshman tandem of Germain Degardin and Patrick Pfister also won 8-4. At No. 2 doubles the sophomore duo of Marc Westgate and Felipe Frattini fell in extra games, 9-7.
In singles the Aggies swept the Highlanders at positions two through five. In a tight match at No. 1 singles, Stakne rolled to a 6-2 win in set one. In the second he lost in a tiebreaker at 7-6. In the deciding superbreaker, Stakne came up just short at 10-8 in the only Aggie downfall of the day.
Westgate was a three-set winner for NM State. The sophomore lost the first set at the No. 2 slot 6-1 but recovered for a 6-4 decision in set two. In the deciding set Westgate rolled to victory with a 6-2 set win.
Freshman Eduardo Cabrita also won in three at No. 6 singles. After a 6-4 setback in the first stanza, Cabrita edged his Highlander opponent 7-5 in the second. In a deciding superbreaker, Cabrita came out on top 10-8 to claim the team point.
In the middle of the lineup Degardin, Ramirez and Frattini each won in straight sets over the Highlanders. Each Aggie held his opponent to five games or less in victory.
"The guys played well today," said head coach Carlos Vargas. "We continue to improve and play hard. It was a good overall team effort."
NM State improved to 3-3 on the year with the win. UCR fell to 0-5 overall after the loss.
The Aggies compete in their own Super Bowl Sunday battle of sorts at 11 a.m. when they serve against No. 54 UNLV on the Runnin' Rebels home court.
For the latest Aggie men's tennis news click NMStateSports.com.
UC Riverside vs. New Mexico State
Feb. 4, 2012 at Fertitta Tennis Complex
#59 New Mexico State 6, UC Riverside 1
1. Felix Macherez (UCR) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 2-6, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Austin Andres (UCR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-2, 6-3
5. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Simon Peters (UCR) 6-2, 6-2
6. Eduardo Cabrita (NMSU) def. Kelly Dickson (UCR) 4-6, 7-5 (10-8)
1. Stakne/Ramirez (NMSU) def. Andres/Macherez (UCR) 8-4
2. Griffin/Roberts (UCR) def. Westgate/Frattini (NMSU) 9-7
3. Degardin/Pfister (NMSU) def. Gastao/Peters (UCR) 8-4